Melbourne to 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road by Helicopter — The Bucket List Tour
Overview - Helicopter Ride to the 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road
The helicopter ride offering the most spectacular views of Victoria's famous Shipwreck Coast and takes just 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach by helicopter from Melbourne (as opposed to 4.5 hours in the car).
As you arrive at Victoria's rugged coastline you’ll have breath-taking views of the 12 Apostles as they rise from the sea, just in time for a private landing at the 12 Apostles Helipad and your opportunity to take in these magnificent rock formations, formed over millions of years, on the ground.
A short walk from the 12 Apostles Helipad will lead you to lookouts with some of the best panoramic views along the coast including the spectacular Castle Rock lookout. For the more adventurous, take the long walk down the Gibson Steps (a 40 minute walk with 89 steps in each direction) to access the beach where you can see the 12 Apostles up close at sea level.
After your 2 hour stopover your helicopter ride continues over a number of additional natural wonders north of the 12 Apostles including Loch Ard Gorge, the Sentinel, the Arch, London Bridge, The Grotto, Schomberg Reef and the Bay of Islands — all understated but equally beautiful constellation of jagged rock formations which make up the shipwreck coast.
In the months from June to October it is not uncommon to spot whales, manta rays and schools of sharks as you wind your way along the coast, so be sure to keep a sharp eye out of your window seat!
Your scenic flight experience includes:
- A spectacular 1 hour 15 minute private flight flying you directly to the 12 Apostles
- A private helicopter reserved exclusively for you and up to 2 guests (your flight will not be shared)
- A luxury helicopter with leather seats and air-conditioning for your comfort
- As many photos as you can take both on the ground and during the flight
- An courteous and experienced pilot who loves making people smile
- A guaranteed window seat for uninterrupted views over Melbourne
- Premium noise-cancelling headsets from Bose to speak amongst yourselves and with your pilot
Example Itinerary — Melbourne to 12 Apostles Scenic Helicopter Flight
Your 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road Bucket List tour will take off from the Helipad at Essendon Airport. An example itinerary would look like:
- 09:00 - Depart Essendon Airport on your private helicopter tour flying over Avalon, Geelong and Colac on the way to Port Campbell National Park
- 10:15 - Upon arriving at the Shipwreck Coast, your helicopter will fly a scenic tour over the 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Arch, London Bridge and the Bay of Islands before turning around and doing the same route in the other direction.
- 10:45 - Land at 12 Apostles Helipad and spend up to 2 hours viewing the 12 Apostles on the ground. Take a short walk to the lookouts or a long walk down the Gibson Steps to see the 12 Apostles at sea level
- 12:45 - Depart 12 Apostles Helipad
- 14:00 - Arrive back to Essendon Airport
Optional — Day Trip Itinerary with Lunch at a Winery
To make your experience truly unforgettable, we can arrange a visit to either of the peninsula's best wineries — Clyde Park Vineyard, Jack Rabbit Restaurant or Terindah Estate — for a wine tour and winery lunch on your return flight to Melbourne.
13:30 - Private landing at Clyde Park, Jack Rabbit Winery or Terindah Estate for a winery lunch (priced separately)
15:30 - Depart the winery on your scenic flight back to Melbourne
16:00 - Arrive back on the Helipad at Essendon Airport
What do people say about scenic Helicopter Flights with Rotor One?
Why people choose Helicopter Rides in Melbourne with Rotor One
✅ No-hassle booking policy: Reschedule or cancel up to 48 hours before your flight if your plans change - no questions asked.
✅ Weather guarantee: We'll reschedule your flight free of charge or provide a full refund if your flight is delayed due to the weather.
✅ Private flights: We reserve the entire Helicopter just for you.
✅ Photoshoot included: We reserve time before and after your flight to take photos of you in and around the helicopter.
✅ Helicopters with air conditioning: Stay comfortable on hot summer days and cold winter mornings in whatever you're wearing.
✅ Noise-cancelling headsets from Bose: Amazing sound quality designed to protect your hearing during the flight.
✅ Fly with our owner: Our owner Ed runs the company and often flies guests personally to ensure our experiences are truly special.
⛰️ Looking for a different helicopter tour in Melbourne?
See our exciting Melbourne scenic flights collection showing off the very best parts of Melbourne by helicopter including:
- a 30 minute ride over Melbourne's City & Beaches
- a 45 minute scenic flight around Mornington Peninsula
- a 1 hour and 30 minute helicopter ride around Phillip Island
- a 2 hour and 30 minute helicopter tour over Wilsons Prom or,
- a 3 hour helicopter tour over the Grampians
Our flight was wonderful, the scenery beautiful and Ed our pilot a terrific host. We were booked for a Wednesday, however as the weather (in true Melbourne style) was forecast to be awful- Ed contacted us on Monday and offered to bring the flight forward to Tuesday and we enjoyed a gorgeous sunny day flight. The reschedule meant we couldn’t go to the winery, however Ed put together a gourmet picnic hamper for us and we enjoyed that on the beach instead which was really lovely . A great way to mark my 50th birthday and tick off a bucket list item.
The whole experience was amazing, we loved flying,
the view of Melbourne city, Flemington, Bay of islands,
London bridge, the arch and 12 apostles! Our pilot
Edward was fun, informative and went above and
beyond. It was for our honeymoon so we added landing
at a winery for lunch. The food at Terindah Estate was
Would definitely recommend to everyone such a
I booked a helicopter flight from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles to propose to my partner and it was the most amazing experience we've ever had. The helicopter ride was very smooth, the views of the 12 Apostles from a helicopter are spectacular and they even surprised us with a beautiful picnic lunch on the Great Ocean Road. I also need to mention that Rotor One and their Customer Service team are absolute superstars. From the moment I got in touch with them they answered each and every one of my questions patiently, responded to my frantic emails late at night, took care of all the little details I'd asked for to make the flight extra special and they went above and beyond to make us feel like royalty on our helicopter ride. Thank you so much Ed and Lindsay for making our day the best it could possibly be.
Amazing! Thank you Ed for a wonderful experience! My partner and I loved our flight and it was the perfect 40th birthday present. Ed was fun, friendly and full of knowledge for all things aviation. Highly recommend Rotor One and already planning another flight.
What a beautiful day we had. Thank you so much to Ed, our knowledgeable and kind pilot. You made this day one that none of us will ever forget. The day trip of a lifetime.
Have a question? Call us on (03) 7065 1888
There are many amazing wineries in the Yarra Valley, Bellarine Peninsula & Nagambie regions and we'll help you decide which winery you should fly to and why.
Helicopter rides are one of the most spectacular things to do in Melbourne and we've broken down the top 5 helicopter experiences as rated by passengers like you.