12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road Helicopter Tour from Melbourne
12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road Helicopter Tour from Melbourne
The ultimate Great Ocean Road tour from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles by Helicopter — One of Australia's most popular helicopter rides.
Your 5 - 7 hour Experience includes:
🚁 1 hour 15 min Private Flight (each way)
📸 Up to 2 hours at the 12 Apostles
🍇 Lunch Stopover at Local Winery (optional)
🐧 Include Phillip Island Penguin Parade (optional)
📍 Flights depart Essendon (25 mins from CBD)
🥇 Melbourne's #1 Rated Helicopter Company
Overview: 12 Apostles Helicopter Rides from Melbourne
12 Apostles helicopters depart daily from Melbourne taking just 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the 12 Apostles, compared to 4.5 hours when travelling by road. Perfect for travellers visiting Melbourne for just a few days, our 12 Apostles helicopter tours allow you to explore the Great Ocean Road and magnificent rock stacks of the 12 Apostles in just a few hours from Melbourne by helicopter.
Our private flights guarantee window seats with panoramic views of the entire shipwreck coast on your 12 Apostles helicopter tour. Enjoy a scenic flight over the 12 Apostles and famous shipwreck coast landmarks of Loch Ard Gorge, the Sentinel, the Arch, London Bridge, The Grotto and Bay of Islands dotted along the southern ocean.
After your helicopter ride over the 12 Apostles, your aircraft will make a private landing at the 12 Apostles Helipad for your opportunity to witness these magnificent rock formations, formed over millions of years, from the ground. Depending on the weather and your level of fitness, you can choose to spend your 2 hour stopover with either:
- A short walk (7 minutes) from 12 Apostles Helicopters to the spectacular Castle Rock lookout for some of the best views of the beaches and coastline in Victoria and the Great Ocean Road.
- A long walk (35 minutes) down the Gibson Steps (89 steps in each direction!) to access the beach where you can witness the beauty of the 12 Apostles up close as they rise from the sea.
Inclusions: 12 Apostles Helicopters from Melbourne (Great Ocean Road Scenic Flight)
- A spectacular 1 hour 15 minute helicopter ride from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles.
- A private helicopter reserved exclusively for you (your flight will not be shared).
- A private landing and stopover directly at 12 Apostles helicopters.
- Amazing photo opportunities during your 12 Apostles scenic flight and on the ground.
- A courteous and experienced pilot who loves making people smile
- A winery stopover on your return from 12 Apostles to Melbourne (optional)
- A Phillip Island stopover on your return from 12 Apostles to witness the Penguin Parade (optional)
Itinerary #1: Melbourne to 12 Apostles Helicopter Tour (5 hour experience)
Our 12 Apostles helicopters depart daily from Essendon Airport offering direct flights and a 5 hour experience including:
- 09:00 - Depart Essendon Airport on your 12 Apostles helicopter ride flying past Melbourne CBD enroute to the Great Ocean Road and Port Campbell National Park.
- 10:15 - Enjoy a scenic helicopter ride over the 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Arch and London Bridge before turning around to enjoy the same route in the other direction.
- 10:30 - Land at 12 Apostles Helicopters and spend up to 2 hours viewing the 12 Apostles on the ground. Take a short walk to the lookouts or a long walk down the Gibson Steps to see the 12 Apostles at sea level.
- 12:30 - Depart 12 Apostles Helicopters.
- 13:45 - Arrive back to Essendon Airport.
Itinerary #2: Melbourne to 12 Apostles Helicopter Tour with Winery Stopover (7 hour experience)
We highly recommend pairing your 12 Apostles helicopter tour with a stopover at one of the award-winning wineries on the Great Ocean Road with our 7 hour experience. We'll arrange a private landing and lunch reservation at Mount Duneed Estate, Jack Rabbit Restaurant or Terindah Estate so you can enjoy a wine tasting and three course lunch on your return flight to Melbourne:
- 09:00 - Depart on your 12 Apostles helicopter ride from Melbourne.
- 10:15 - Enjoy a scenic helicopter ride over the 12 Apostles including Loch Ard Gorge, the Arch and London Bridge
- 10:30 - Land at 12 Apostles Helicopters and spend up to 1 hour viewing the 12 Apostles on the ground.
- 11:30 - Depart 12 Apostles Helicopters.
- 12:30 - Private landing at a Great Ocean Road winery for lunch (meals and wine tasting charged separately).
- 14:45 - Depart the winery on your scenic flight back to Melbourne.
- 15:45 - Arrive back to Essendon Airport.
Itinerary #3: Melbourne to 12 Apostles Helicopter Tour with Phillip Island Stopover for the Penguin Parade (5 hour experience)
Visit two of Australia's world heritage-listed landmarks in a single day by combining your 12 Apostles helicopter ride with a stopover at Phillip Island to discover the famous Penguin Parade with our 7 hour do-it-all experience.
We'll extend your private helicopter ride to include a scenic flight and private landing at Phillip Island Helicopters just in time for the Penguin Parade - The largest little Penguin colony in the world making their daily dash home across the beach at sunset on Phillip Island. You can then choose to arrange an overnight stay in Phillip Island, or we can recommend a limousine company for a relaxing 1 hour and 30 minute drive back to Melbourne.
- 13:00 - Depart on your 12 Apostles helicopter ride from Melbourne.
- 14:15 - Enjoy a scenic helicopter ride over the 12 Apostles.
- 14:30 - Land at 12 Apostles Helicopters and spend up to 1 hour viewing the 12 Apostles on the ground.
- 15:30 - Depart 12 Apostles Helicopters.
- 17:00 - Land at Phillip Island Helicopter.
- 17:15 - Ground transport to Penguin Parade (booked and charged separately).
- 18:00 - Witness the famous Penguin Parade at sunset (booked and charged separately).
- 20:00 - Limousine transfer back to Melbourne (booked and charged separately).
How much does a 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road Helicopter Tour from Melbourne cost?
|Price per person||Fly Direct to 12 Apostles||Fly Direct to 12 Apostles with Winery Stopover||Fly Direct to 12 Apostles with Phillip Island Drop-Off|
Regular price $1,692.50
Sale price $1,692.50Unit price per
Regular price $1,944.00
Sale price $1,944.00Unit price per
Regular price $2,542.00
Sale price $2,542.00Unit price per
|3 - 5 People||
Regular price $990.00
Sale price $990.00Unit price per
Regular price $1,060.80
Sale price $1,060.80Unit price per
Regular price $1,273.20
Sale price $1,273.20Unit price per
|6 - 10 People (Two Helicopters)||
Regular price $990.60
Sale price $990.60Unit price per
Regular price $1,061.40
Sale price $1,061.40Unit price per
Regular price $1,273.80
Sale price $1,273.80Unit price per
|11 - 15 People (Three Helicopters)||
Regular price $990.80
Sale price $990.80Unit price per
Regular price $1,014.40
Sale price $1,014.40Unit price per
Regular price $1,274.06
Sale price $1,274.06Unit price per
❗ IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR FLIGHT
❗ IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR FLIGHT
Where are you located?
Rotor One is located at Essendon Airport which is 20 minutes from Melbourne CBD. Our address is Hangar 7 Wirraway Rd, Essendon Fields and we have off-street parking next to our building.
When should I arrive?
Please arrive 10 minutes before your booking begins for a relaxed experience.
Do you depart from other locations, like the City Helipad?
We depart from Essendon Airport as you have an amazing view of the Melbourne City skyline from the moment you step onto the tarmac. We do not offer flights from the City Helipad on the Yarra River.
What is the minimum age requirement for children?
Children aged 2 years and older can fly. Our pilots will give them special attention to ensure they have an amazing time. All children will have their own window seat and pay the same seat price (we don't offer discounts for children as we make sure they have even more fun than the adults 😁)
I'm just one person. Can I fly by myself?
All our scenic and winery flights are private and require a minimum of two people, except for our Learn To Fly A Helicopter experience. You can book two seats on a scenic or winery flight if you'd like the helicopter to yourself.
Can bad weather prevent us from flying?
Yes, adverse weather conditions such as low cloud, fog, heavy rain or high winds may require your flight to be delayed or rescheduled. If this is the case, your pilot will contact you at least 2 hours prior to your booking time to reschedule your flight to another day/time. We unfortunately cannot provide refunds on flights eligible to be rescheduled.
Google says there's will be bad weather on the day. Should I reschedule?
There's no need to contact us to reschedule based on a weather forecast as they're often inaccurate, especially in Melbourne! We use live weather data on the day of your flight to determine if flights can be conducted safely. We'll contact you at least 2 hours prior to your flight if bad weather could delay your flight.
Why do I need to provide my weight?
We use this to calculate the weight and balance of the helicopter prior to flight. If any guests are over 130kg or a group of 2 or 3 weighs more than 240kg, please contact us prior to booking.
Can I use my camera or phone during flight?
Yes, we encourage you to take as many photos and videos on the ground, and in the air, as possible.
What should I wear?
Please bring a pair of sunglasses and you're welcome to wear clothing appropriate to the weather. We do recommend a wind-breaker jacket for any sunrise / doors-off flights and also when flying on our 12 Apostles tour as both experiences can be windy.
Can I bring any luggage?
Handbags, small backpacks or duffel bags weighing less than 10kg and less than 60cm in length can be carried. Its essential all baggage is soft and compact as it must fit in a small baggage compartment under your seat. We're not able to carry any rigid suitcases or airplane carry-on size rolling luggage.
Can I fly if I'm pregnant?
Yes, however we recommend flying prior to your third trimester.
Can I fly if I'm in a wheelchair?
Yes, our hangar is wheelchair-accessible and we warmly welcome passengers with special needs. Our team will gladly assist in lifting any passengers into the aircraft for their flight. We can also arrange to transport foldable wheelchairs when flying 4 or more passengers, as we use larger helicopters with cargo holds for these flights. If you'd like to arrange wheelchair rental for your flight, please contact Fisher Lane Mobility to confirm availability and request their delivery and pickup service to our hangar.
☔ BAD WEATHER & BOOKING CHANGE POLICY
☔ BAD WEATHER & BOOKING CHANGE POLICY
What happens if there's bad weather on the day of my flight?
- We really, really want you to enjoy your helicopter experience, so we only fly when the weather allows a safe and comfortable flight.
- Occasionally, bad weather on the day of your flight may require your flight to be delayed or rescheduled (i.e. low cloud, fog, heavy rain or high winds).
- We’ll contact you on the day if we need to reschedule your flight, and work with you to find a new date or time.
- We unfortunately cannot provide refunds on flights eligible to be rescheduled. However, your booking can be transferred to another person, or converted to a Gift Voucher to be used towards any flight with Rotor One.
Can I reschedule or cancel my booking?
- You can reschedule or cancel your flight up to 72 hours before your departure time.
- Please note there is a 10% cancellation fee for any booking cancelled at your request.
- We unfortunately cannot reschedule or cancel flights with less than 72 hours notice as we make commitments to ensure your Pilot and Helicopter are reserved exclusively for you on the day.
✅ FLIGHT SAFETY
✅ FLIGHT SAFETY
Pre-Flight Safety Briefings
- Each of our guests receive a pre-flight safety briefing from your Pilot on the planned flight path, what to expect during the flight and how to operate emergency exits.
Qualified & Experienced Flight Crews
- All our crew are qualified Commercially Licensed Pilots and Flights Instructors with detailed knowledge of Melbourne airspace and several hundred to several thousand hours of flight experience each.
Detailed Monitoring of Weather Data
- All flights are subject to favourable weather conditions on the day and your Pilot may delay or cancel your flight if they believe the weather may impact the safety margins or comfort of your flight.
Use of Position Broadcasting Technology (ADS-B)
- Our helicopters are equipped with the newest position broadcasting technology (ADS-B) which tracks our position in real-time and gives automated warnings of other aircraft flying nearby.
Routine Mandatory Maintenance Inspections
- Our helicopters are inspected every day prior to the first flight and receive a detailed inspection every 50 hours by licensed aircraft engineers (LAME) with critical components being replaced every 100 and 400 hours of flight time.
Flight Planning & Monitoring with Air & Rescue Services
- All flights to destinations outside Melbourne have detailed flight plans that are submitted to Airservices Australia and include deadlines for time that search action may be required (SARTIME) as a strict precautionary measure.
Looking for more helicopter flights in Melbourne?
Best helicopter ride ever. 12 apostles scenic view is just unreal. You get also 2 hours to walk on the beach. Pilot also great and friendly.
It was an amazing experience. I called Ed one day before the tour. He arranged an extra helicopter to us. We leaved our hotel at 9.00 am, landed at 11.00am at 12 Apostles, had an amazing run on the beach, landed at 13.40 at the winery and having a great lunch. Finaly we catch the 17.30 Sydney flight from Melbourne. Wow, that was a very special day!!! Especially thx to pilots who were not only highly skilled but was extraemely personable and accommodated. Thanks Ed again your service, I warmly recommend to everybody !!!😎🍷🚁
Ed and the entire Rotor One team were so lovely and professional throughout the entire time.
Expectations were definitely exceeded, my partner and I had an experience that we will cherish for a lifetime.
Thanks Rotor One for providing both of us with some amazing memories.
I highly recommend Rotor One to everyone out there. 👍
We had an amazing flight from Melbourne to 12 Apostles. Ed is a very competent and friendly pilot. We had a very safe flight. I think the best way to view the 12 apostles is from a helicopter. The tour is really worth it.
Had a wonderful trip with Ed. Met all our expectations. Had plenty of time at the 12 Apostles along with lunch at a local winery. Would highly recommend Rotor One with Ed.
We can highly recommend rotor 1 for the perfect way to visit the 12 apostles and lunch at a winery on the way back. Michael and Ed made us feel very secure and explained so much about what we were seeing from the air. They are one of only 3 Melbourne companies with permission to land at 12 apostles visitor centre. Whole experience very professional and relaxed. Whilst it’s not for everyone’s budget I felt as a once in a lifetime experience it was worth every dollar. It’s the only way to avoid a 12-13 hour day trip by mini bus. Lunch booked at Jack rabbit vineyard with private helipad was also excellent and good value for money. We will be thinking about this perfect day for a long time to come. It was really beyond our budget but not as bad as in Europe for a such a long distance. Weather was perfect for us I don’t think they can fix the weather every time!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.