12 Apostles Helicopter Tours — Melbourne to 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road by Helicopter (Private VIP Experience)
Overview - Helicopter Ride to the 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Road from Melbourne
12 Apostles tours by helicopter offer spectacular views and a unique perspective of Victoria's famous Shipwreck Coast. The 12 Apostles helicopter ride takes just 1 hour and 15 minutes by helicopter from Melbourne, as opposed to a 4.5 hour commute by car.
As you arrive at Victoria's rugged coastline you’ll have breath-taking views of the 12 Apostles as they rise from the sea, just in time for a private landing at the 12 Apostles Helipad and your opportunity to take in these magnificent rock formations, formed over millions of years, on the ground.
A short walk from 12 Apostles Helicopters will lead you to lookouts with some of the best panoramic views along the coast including the spectacular Castle Rock lookout. For the more adventurous, take the long walk down the Gibson Steps (a 40 minute walk with 89 steps in each direction) to access the beach where you can see the 12 Apostles up close at sea level.
After your 2 hour stopover your helicopter ride continues over a number of additional natural wonders north of the 12 Apostles including Loch Ard Gorge, the Sentinel, the Arch, London Bridge and The Grotto — all understated but equally beautiful constellation of jagged rock formations which make up the shipwreck coast.
In the months from June to October it is not uncommon to spot whales, manta rays and schools of sharks as you wind your way along the coast, so be sure to keep a sharp eye out of your window seat!
Your 12 Apostles helicopter flight over Victoria's Great Ocean Road includes:
- A spectacular 1 hour 15 minute private flight flying you directly to the 12 Apostles
- A private helicopter reserved exclusively for you (your flight will not be shared)
- As many photos as you can take both on the ground and during the flight
- An courteous and experienced pilot who loves making people smile
- Premium noise-cancelling headsets from Bose to speak amongst yourselves and with your pilot
Itinerary for Melbourne to 12 Apostles Direct (4.5 hour experience)
Your 12 Apostles & Great Ocean Helicopter tour will take off from the Helipad at Essendon Airport. An example itinerary would look like:
- 09:00 - Depart Essendon Airport on your private helicopter tour flying over Avalon, Geelong and Colac on the way to Port Campbell National Park
- 10:15 - Fly a scenic tour over the 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, the Arch and London Bridge before turning around and doing the same route in the other direction.
- 10:30 - Land at 12 Apostles Helipad and spend up to 2 hours viewing the 12 Apostles on the ground. Take a short walk to the lookouts or a long walk down the Gibson Steps to see the 12 Apostles at sea level
- 12:30 - Depart 12 Apostles Helipad
- 13:30 - Arrive back to Essendon Airport
Itinerary for Melbourne to 12 Apostles with Winery Stopover (6 hour experience)
To make your experience truly unforgettable, we can arrange a visit to one of the peninsula's best wineries — Mount Duneed Estate, Jack Rabbit Restaurant or Terindah Estate — for a wine tour and winery lunch on your return flight to Melbourne.
- 09:00 - Depart Essendon Airport
- 10:15 - Fly a scenic tour over the 12 Apostles
- 10:30 - Land at 12 Apostles Helipad for one hour viewing time on the ground
- 11:30 - Depart 12 Apostles Helipad
- 12:30 - Private landing at a winery on the Bellarine Peninsula for lunch and wine-tasting (meals and beverages charged separately)
- 14:30 - Depart the winery on your scenic flight back to Melbourne
- 15:00 - Arrive back on the Helipad at Essendon Airport
What do people say about 12 Apostles Helicopter Tours with Rotor One?
Why people choose Helicopter Rides in Melbourne with Rotor One
✅ No-hassle booking policy: Reschedule or cancel up to 48 hours before your flight if your plans change - no questions asked.
✅ Weather guarantee: We'll reschedule your flight free of charge or provide a full refund if your flight is delayed due to the weather.
✅ Private flights: We reserve the entire Helicopter just for you.
✅ Noise-cancelling headsets from Bose: Amazing sound quality designed to protect your hearing during the flight.
✅ Fly with our owner: Our owner Ed runs the company and often flies guests personally to ensure our experiences are truly special.
⛰️ Looking for a different helicopter tour in Melbourne?
See our exciting Melbourne scenic flights collection showing off the very best parts of Melbourne by helicopter including:
- a 30 minute ride over Melbourne's City & Beaches
- a 45 minute scenic flight around Mornington Peninsula
- a 1 hour and 30 minute helicopter ride around Phillip Island
- a 2 hour and 30 minute helicopter tour over Wilsons Prom or,
- a 3 hour helicopter tour over the Grampians
Best helicopter ride ever. 12 apostles scenic view is just unreal. You get also 2 hours to walk on the beach. Pilot also great and friendly.
It was an amazing experience. I called Ed one day before the tour. He arranged an extra helicopter to us. We leaved our hotel at 9.00 am, landed at 11.00am at 12 Apostles, had an amazing run on the beach, landed at 13.40 at the winery and having a great lunch. Finaly we catch the 17.30 Sydney flight from Melbourne. Wow, that was a very special day!!! Especially thx to pilots who were not only highly skilled but was extraemely personable and accommodated. Thanks Ed again your service, I warmly recommend to everybody !!!😎🍷🚁
Ed and the entire Rotor One team were so lovely and professional throughout the entire time.
Expectations were definitely exceeded, my partner and I had an experience that we will cherish for a lifetime.
Thanks Rotor One for providing both of us with some amazing memories.
I highly recommend Rotor One to everyone out there. 👍
We had an amazing flight from Melbourne to 12 Apostles. Ed is a very competent and friendly pilot. We had a very safe flight. I think the best way to view the 12 apostles is from a helicopter. The tour is really worth it.
Had a wonderful trip with Ed. Met all our expectations. Had plenty of time at the 12 Apostles along with lunch at a local winery. Would highly recommend Rotor One with Ed.
We can highly recommend rotor 1 for the perfect way to visit the 12 apostles and lunch at a winery on the way back. Michael and Ed made us feel very secure and explained so much about what we were seeing from the air. They are one of only 3 Melbourne companies with permission to land at 12 apostles visitor centre. Whole experience very professional and relaxed. Whilst it’s not for everyone’s budget I felt as a once in a lifetime experience it was worth every dollar. It’s the only way to avoid a 12-13 hour day trip by mini bus. Lunch booked at Jack rabbit vineyard with private helipad was also excellent and good value for money. We will be thinking about this perfect day for a long time to come. It was really beyond our budget but not as bad as in Europe for a such a long distance. Weather was perfect for us I don’t think they can fix the weather every time!
There are many amazing wineries in the Yarra Valley, Bellarine Peninsula & Nagambie regions and we'll help you decide which winery you should fly to and why.
Helicopter rides are one of the most spectacular things to do in Melbourne and we've broken down the top 5 helicopter experiences as rated by passengers like you.